“I see nothing here that would invalidate Michaels argument“.
Of course not! Christianity and Islam have effectively killed original thought by making copycats. And if you openly don’t believe it, prepare for the subtle witness or the all out testimony. The programming is fixed. Resistance is futile. Every knee will bow!
“Commonsense tells me he (Hoffer) won’t have referred to most Christians” The beauty of Christianity is its Autobias and built in A.R.S. (Automatic Rebuttal Syndrome) while Christianity and Islam are the epitome of successful mass movement, beginning with an archetypal enemy, a devil (or the status quo)
1. Radical idea that challenges the controlling powers
2. Adopted by those in power.
3. Used as a tool to absorb countless cultures
3. Creating new zealots to stand behind the religion (which is now the state)
4. Goes out in force to do the works of evil in the name of good (the conversion of Europe and Latin America) It is all very predictable that the new movement will become the enemy they hated.
Here is the quote in question on whether Christianity is well played mass movement—”Hatred is the most accessible and comprehensive of all the unifying agents … Mass movements can rise and spread without belief in a god, but never without a belief in a devil.”—Eric Hoffer
Atheism will never be a mass movement. If anything it bolsters Christian defenses and gives them another bogey man to rally against. Hitler had the jews to unify several competing foes, while Christianity has Islam (and atheism) while Islam uses the West as its eternal threat which anchors the longevity of the movement.